GameGoo: online English phonics, reading, and grammar games
The GameGoo website by Earobics (“Helping Readers Reach”) and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt features 13 different free online interactive games for kids in 3 levels of difficulty. They practice various English readiness, phonics, reading, spelling, and grammar skills.
Skills practiced in “Beginner” level (blue):
- following directions
- real & make-believe
- alphabet order
- upper/lower case alphabet match
- beginning letter sounds
Skills practiced in “Intermediate” level (purple):
- use letters to spell words
- use word parts (phonics, like “oy”) to spell words
- put words in order to make sentences
Skills practiced in “Advanced” level (pink):
- spell short vowel words with the keyboard
- spell long vowel words with the keyboard
- find words that are synonyms
- find words that are antonyms – opposites
As you can see from the pictures, the graphics on this site are simple – and the animation is rather choppy – but they are colorful and fun! The “Fun Goo” section features 6 little “just for fun” (non-educational) games like making faces and pictures (Frankengoo) and composing music (Compose a Goo). There is also an area for teachers to view books and software products by Earobics.
If you have used these online GameGoo games or a similar resource you’d like to share, please leave some feedback below – thanks!